As technology continues to evolve and new types of gadgets and appliances are been designed and manufactured, you’d found out that most modern PCs are designed without DVD drives.
And while you have these modern PCs offering you cool and amazing features such as cool RAM size, OS, HDD, an amazing Processor and Processor speed, Total Graphics Memory, and Display Resolution Abbreviation giving you a run for your money; being bothered about an inbuilt DVD Drive would be the last thing on your mind.
But after purchasing these PCs, a lot of users find that they still can’t do without a DVD Drive, either for transferring data from the PC to discs, watching movies, or transferring data from discs to PC.
And this is where the search for an external DVD Drive comes into play.
On the other side of the coin, there are folks whose PCs used to have functional inbuilt DVD Drive, but one day they just discovered that the DVD Drive has become faulty. This same category of people will also commence their search for an external DVD Drive.
Whichever side of the coin you find yourself, you are reading this article because you need a guide to purchasing the best external DVD Drive in the market. And that is exactly what this article is here to help you with.
So, let’s say you are on the right web page, as this article will give you a detailed guide on the top 10 Best external DVD Drive you should consider.
- Best External DVD Drives to Buy in 2023
- 10. ASUS SDRW-08U9M-U
- 9. PIONEER BDR-XD05B External DVD Drive
- 8. LG BP60NB10 External DVD Drive
- 7. DELL DW316 External DVD Drive
- 6. APPLE USB SUPERDRIVE (MD564LL/A)
- 5. AMICOOL EXTERNAL DVD DRIVE
- 4. Samsung (SE-218CB/RSBS) External DVD Drive
- 3. RIODDAS External DVD Drive
- 2. VersionTECH External DVD Drive
- 1. Buffalo MediaStation
Best External DVD Drives to Buy in 2023
10. ASUS SDRW-08U9M-U
If you are in the market for an external DVD Drive that can conveniently and effectively burn and play any type of disc, this Asus SDRW-08U9M-U has got you covered at all times.
Besides, this product is a beauty to behold. Its elegant and stylish silver color gives it this attractive look that is plain irresistible.
Combining this good look with functionality, this product is sturdy and strong, yet is lightweight and can burn discs at the speed of light. It is that fast compared to other external DVD Drives out there.
The best part of this product is that you don’t need additional software configuration before you use it, all you need to do is connect it to your computer and you are good to go.
- Comes with a Mini-USB–to–Type-A and a Mini-USB–to–Type-C cables.
- Works with ALL brands and types of computers, either old or new.
- Features a Disc Encryption II function.
- It has a Nero BackItUp function for Android devices.
9. PIONEER BDR-XD05B External DVD Drive
Another product that you can rely on for fast performance when it comes to burning discs and writing data on discs. This PIONEER BDR-XD05B product is also lightweight and slim, but this doesn’t have anything to do with the functionality.
Another thumb up for this product is its PowerDVD feature which allows you to connect and use this product without the aid of any video player software.
The best part of this product is its larger packet size feature that makes it power-conservative, which means that the power of your computer will be conserved and minimally utilized irrespective of the amount of data transferred.
- Features a USB 3.0 interface.
- Has the USB Mass Storage protocol with an MMC-5 SCSI command set.
- It is highly compatible with different brands of computers.
8. LG BP60NB10 External DVD Drive
If you are searching for a product that can work perfectly well with DVDs and Blurays, search no further, the LG BP60NB10 External DVD Drive has got your back.
Also, this product’s functionality includes a mind-boggling 8X reading and writing speed that gives it an edge over other products.
Actually, LG is one of the topmost brands in gadgets and appliances, and you sure know they serve nothing but the best.
- It connects via USB 2.0.
- Works with the new Ultra HD discs with 4K video.
- Supports M-Disk format
- It helps to smoothen Playback of ruined discs.
7. DELL DW316 External DVD Drive
For those people who want to go for ultra-slim, light, and affordable DVD Drives, the DELL DW316 is perfect for your budget.
And although this product doesn’t work with Blu-ray discs, it doesn’t do badly for itself as it works perfectly well for DVDs and CDs.
The best part of this product is that it doesn’t make use of power cords or batteries, as it gets powered and ready to use as soon as you connect it to your computer.
- Features 24x (for CD) and 8x (for DVD) read speed.
- It features a pre-loaded Cyber Link Media Suite
- Can be used to install computer games too.
6. APPLE USB SUPERDRIVE (MD564LL/A)
Compact, sleek, and yet simple are the words to describe this state-of-the-art Apple Super drive. This product screams class and prestige from a mile away, and you definitely can’t expect less in looks when it comes to Apple products.
But asides the sleek and charming looks, the functionality of this product is topnotch too. First off, this product enables you to make use of it either when you are static or in motion. It is that flexible.
Also, this Apple USB Super drive product doesn’t only burn and play DVDs and CDs, it raises the bar a bit by enabling you to create backup discs, watch movies, and install software programs too.
The icing on the cake for this product is that its connectivity feature. It connects to your MacBook device via Retina display and that is so cool.
- It looks sleek and stylish.
- Features Retina display connectivity.
- It is quiet during performance.
5. AMICOOL EXTERNAL DVD DRIVE
Although this product might come across like your average DVD drive, it is more than average! Asides from its cool look, its features are amazing.
First off, this product supports game playing, software installation, data copying, disc burning, movie watching, and data backup.
And although it doesn’t support Blu-ray discs, it works perfectly well with VCDs, CDs, and DVDs.
And the best part is that it is not only fast, but it also enables error corrections on discs, features indicator light, forced ejection hole, and an ejection button.
- It supports Linus, Mac, Notebooks, and Windows 1,7, 8, and 10 devices.
- Supports backward compatibility of USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 devices, and USB3.0 Type A and Type C connectivity.
- It doesn’t need any external driver and power supply.
4. Samsung (SE-218CB/RSBS) External DVD Drive
Another product from another topmost brand, this product mirrors other Samsung products in class, sleekness, and functionality.
Its features range from its effortless compatibility with all formats of CDs and DVDs; name any type of CDs and DVDs (Multisession CD, Mixed Mode CD, DVD-Video, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, and others). But it doesn’t work with Blu-ray discs and VCDs.
Another reason why this product is on this list is its access time feature. With this product, you can access your computer within 150MS. And that is a fast track for any DVD Drive.
- It supports USB2.0 / 3.0 Compatible Interface
- Features an access time of 150MS for both DVD-ROM and CD-ROM.
3. RIODDAS External DVD Drive
This product’s features are similar to the features of most of the products explained previously.
It is a no drive needed, just plug and play drive. Also, its functionality includes movie playing, creating backup discs, listening to music, burning discs, and installing software programs.
Besides, it is compatible with most Mac and Windows devices, but it doesn’t work with Blu-ray discs, television, or tablets.
But the features that make this product loveable is its affordability, shock-resistant, and fault-tolerance features.
- It supports USB 3.0 interface.
- The compact is easy to move around.
2. VersionTECH External DVD Drive
The first thing you’d notice about this product is its delicacy. This product has a delicate shell and equally delicate panel. So for less gentle users, this is not your forte.
But the delicacy of this product’s panel has its advantage as it helps to provide smooth and light accessibility for users.
Besides, this product features earthquake pads that help to protect the product from falls, hence hereby making the product more durable and long-lasting.
- It supports Mac 10 OS system, Linus, and WindowsXP/2003/Win8/Vista/7 devices.
- The interface compatibility is with USB3.0 and 2.0.
- Its burning/writing speed time is Max 8x for DVD (Read and Write) and Max 24x for CD (Write and Read)
1. Buffalo MediaStation
Last but obviously not the least product, this Buffalo MediaStation External Drive is one of the best sellers out there for the following reasons.
First off, it works with CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
Besides, this product features M-Disc support which enables that your files are not tampered with by humidity or light, hence making them last for as long as possible.
Not to mention its USB powered feature which makes it very easy to operate and use. You don’t need to bother yourself with extra installation, just connect the USB cord to your available USB port and you are good to go.
The best part is that this product enables DVD upscaling, which mean that you can upscale your content to a higher dimension.
- Features M-Disc support for durable recordings.
- Enables DVD up scaling.
- It features an inbuilt USB cord.
It is no gainsaying that these above-listed external drives are unique and awesome in their functionality, and they will give you all that you want in an external DVD drive.
But what is more important in your choice for the best external DVD Drive is that you focus on the product that is made specifically for your device, the specs you want, and of course your pocket size.